Thursday, July 14, 2011

Future Of Libraries: Cutting Edge Services

Hi Everyone,

I was fortunate to be able to attend the Future of Libraries: Cutting Edge Services through the ALA Symposium. Thank you ALD for making this possible.

I found the OCLS Shake it quite interesting and maybe a little silly, but I get the point of trying to make the application not only informative but most importantly fun for its users. I think it was wonderful how they were able to go from a catalog to an interactive readers' advisory application. I agree with the presenter that this application makes it a FUN WAY TO DISCOVER. I also like the fact that this application works with an iPod, iPad and an iPhone. I can see how this is not only an innovative but also a great way to reach our patrons. Please share your thoughts......

2 comments:

  1. I loved the "shake it" idea. Sometimes we get in the same rut in picking things for ourselves. What a great inventive way to try something new!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the same program that aps like Urbanspoon use? You shake the device and it brings up new suggestions? I LOVE this idea! I would shake it all day long and have a list of a million books to read!

    ReplyDelete