Monday, August 22, 2011

Finally Freegal

I FINALLY tried Freegal this past week! I'm a little embarrassed about how long it took me to get around to it, especially given how EASY it was to do once I started. There's no separate software (like Overdrive) and set up for your account is nothing more than typing in your name and library card number on the Freegal page.

Then you just search for your song and click to download. That's it! Apparently our patrons are finding it just as easy, since it's a well-used service, and when I spoke to one of the librarians, she said that they almost never get hunt group calls from customers with questions about it.

I did notice that the basic search is pretty loose, so that you will get dozens if not hundreds of hits when you type in a song title or artist. But there is an advanced search which narrows things down much more effectively. Since you can only do three songs a week, I was looking for a wish-list feature where you could keep track of songs that you wanted in the future, but I didn't see one. Does anyone else know about that?

I can't wait to show my 13 year old how to do it herself with her own library card.

The hardest part? Waiting a whole week before I can choose three more songs!

2 comments:

  1. Freegal is way cool! I showed my 12 year old how to do this and he loves it! He searches and I love how you can also play a bit of the song before you download too so that you get the right version of the song or you think its a different song than it is! I haven't played with it enough to know of a wishlist, it would be a cool feature. I am thinking someone in NL's knows if this is possible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me even longer than it took you to get around to trying Freegal. Because of your post, I decided to try it! Usually when I want to hear a song I don't have the cd for, I just go to Youtube, but occasionally it is not on Youtube, so Freegal is really nice for those songs!

    According to the FAQ's page, it does have a wishlist, but it looks like it is only there for when ALD runs out of song allotments, or it is just there on Mondays??? I don't know. I guess I'll just have to make my own wishlist in Word.

    ReplyDelete