Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Alternatives to Piknik

Just a quick post today! Google announced recently that it would be closing down their Piknik service on April 19. This was a free, streamlined photo-editing service that worked with Picasa. Recently there was a conversation on the Flannel Friday Facebook page about what you could use instead. Here's a couple of links that were posted with some alternatives.

One thing to know is that Google has a new photo editing tool within Google+ called Creative Kit, so there is still a free option in the Google family. I haven't tried it yet, though, so I don't know how it flows with Picasa.

Three Best Alternatives to the Piknik Photo Editing Tools
from Make Use Of
12 Free Photo Editing Sites: Piknik Alternatives
from Between Naps on the Porch
Seven Alternatives to Piknik
from Free Technology for Teachers

1 comment:

  1. This is one of those things that keeps catching me. I upload my photos to some service in the cloud (like Picassa, Costco, Kodak) and then something happens. Either I need to buy something by some deadline I miss or the service goes out of business and then I lose the photos I've saved there.

    My new issue is with Apple and Mobile Me. I paid for the service which made me feel safe. Now I have to switch to the iCloud, which is "free." However, to do this, I have to upgrade the OS on both my computers at home two separate times, each of which costs money. So I ordered the first one and installed it. When I went to install the second upgrade I found out that both of my computers don't have enough memory to take the next upgrade. Arrggh! More time and money.

    If I don't take the time to work this out soon, all the photos I've saved in the cloud on my MobileMe account go poof! I think I just need to get a big old portable hard drive and save them all there. Sorry to be crabby;)

    ReplyDelete