Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Handheld Librarians Conference

One of the sessions I attended during the Handheld Librarian's Conference in late February was the 40 Best Apps presented by Scott Brown of Sun Microsystems. Since then, I've been finding out more about some of his choices. www.SoundHound.com
is good for identifying tunes as they play from a speaker in just a few seconds. Since this "identification thing" has been a passtime and competition for many in my family for years, I told them about it and it has been fun for all of us. Try it! You might like it too!

3 comments:

  1. I too enjoyed hearing about some of the incredible trends and applications available for mobile devices, especially knowing that smart phones officially out-sell pc's. So, I joined the club and got a new phone. Although I realize I'm still in the "everything is so cool" phase, I do have to say that I've already enjoyed Soundhound and Stumbledupon for fun, and my banking apps along with Mint.com app,(helps with budget)for practical use. The best is being able to just scan my phone to pay at Starbuck's now! Anyone want to go for coffee so I can show you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I like about my smart phone is that I'm always connected to the Internet. I'm still surprised that I can search for information when I really need it, (almost) from everywhere. That eases and enriches my life. The cool experience I had lately was at the Art museum. I wanted to learn more about a specific picture and just searched it in Wikipedia and got SO much information about it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nevet, were there QR codes at the Art Museum? That's another way to connect people to information about objects and places.

    ReplyDelete