Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I Love Google Maps

Hi everyone!

I'm sure many of you are familiar with Google Maps or other map websites. I realized that Google maps is a tool I use very often. For those who haven't used it, here's an example of how helpful it can be:

Let's say I don't know where there is a library nearby. I type in "library loc: Sheridan, CO" and it shows me some libraries nearby.
I want to go get a pizza on my way home from work, so I click on the Sheridan library balloon, and click on "search nearby" and type "pizza." It shows me different pizza places near the library.
I choose a pizza place and click on its balloon, then click "directions." Google Maps then tells me exactly how to get there.

Google maps also has other great features, like terrain, bike paths, satellite view, and street view.

5 comments:

  1. I love google maps too! This is really an excellent resource as you pointed out. How many times too do we have patrons come in that ask for the closest post office, or a library outside of our District or some other geographic question? Its always best to guide to the resource as places and times change and this is a great resource to use and guide patrons to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I like what you posted about Google maps. I'm a Mapquest user mostly and that drives my Googligans(that is what I call my husband and son who're ardent Google fans)crazy.
    Mapquest has a link for gas prices where you put in your zipcode and it will give you gas prices in your area with the maps and driving directions too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I like about Google is the app that I downloaded onto my Ipod and from there I can get the maps! I paid for another map app before I found out that the Google map app would do the same thing and sometimes more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the Google map app to be outstanding when I was on my way to a conference in Grand Junction last week. I was so happy and satisfied watching the pin moving toward my destination, confirming that I was, in fact, going the right way... (I know, Grand Junction is pretty much west, period, but I did have to find the convention center!)
    Google is so brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Google Maps can also be a wonderful tool even for nostalgic reasons. I travel frequently so it is interesting how you can literally revisit a place!!!!

    ReplyDelete