Saturday, March 10, 2012

e-only patrons

I had a lady come in today for a library card. When I offered to help her find something she said that she just wanted to borrow books for her ipad. I am wondering if other libraries are experiencing e-only patrons. Also, after reading the article that Christina published recently, I am wondering about the Amazon lending library. For $79.00/yr. you can access their library, get free 2 day shipping, and stream thousands of t.v. shows and movies. Any speculations on how this will impact us?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post Sharon! It could have a strong impact or a subtle one. Typically I subscribe to the theory that you are either using the library or using a service like Amazon. I think for a lot of Amazon users probably the same for Barnes and Noble too, that there is a stronger appeal for their current clients. They make it so easy to use and download, that I would assume many of their current users have switched to the kindle versus regular library patrons. I could be wrong though! They do seem to have a clever marketing tool that when you are checkout an ebook from the library and aren't done, they offer to link you to their site to but it right then and there. It definitely makes you think! Plus I love how Amazon is evolving with the times and offering something unique and fresh! However back to the discussion of the product, just like with audio books, playaways, books and ebooks -- it is just a personal preference as to which format works for you. Some formats work for some where some seem unimaginable to others!

    ReplyDelete