Monday, May 9, 2011

Angry Birds

Donna's post reminded me about an article I read the day after our last NL game night. I had tried and enjoyed Angry Birds and, so, apparently, does Rick Marin, author of a New York Times article entitled, "Sleep Can Wait. The Birds are Angry". I can't copy and paste either the URL or the article, but if you go to www.nytimes.com and search for Angry Birds, you will find it. This article tends to support my theory that boys in particular are wasting way too much time playing video games. I'm wondering whether any of you are discussing this at home - i.e., issues about too much technology time - is there such a thing? How do you know it when you see it? What kind of limits should be set? Are teens capable of self-regulation or not? Adults?!

2 comments:

  1. I now have Angry Birds on my Nook! I got wife points for letting my husband play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something addictive about Angry Birds. I grew up with video games and loved to play them. I played them for hours on end in my early teen years as they had come along way from Pong also in my earlier years. As I played with Angry Birds, I found myself thinking..."I need an iPad." I went home and was telling this to my family when I started contemplating, "Do I really need an iPad? Would I do more than play Angry Birds on it?" After a couple of days, I realized that my "need" for one was driven to continue to play Angry Birds. Though I could use it for other things, I did not need to purchase one to further distract me from things I need to do. But as someone who played video games for hours on end and who also dreamt about them, I set timers at home for my son so he can play without being sucked into them. My husband recently found he would continue to play for awhile too so has also set a timer for himself seeing that it works for our son. I think timers allow for a balance of play and help everyone to manage their time better. Otherwise don't we all say to ourselves, "I can play one more game..."

    ReplyDelete