Monday, June 6, 2011

I'm just sayin'

This weekend my son came for a visit. We started talking about books and what we have been reading. He sounded somewhat apologetic when he told me he had read a book on his IPad and quite liked it. I am not at ALL opposed to e-readers or reading on any digital device. I just love that people are reading. I do still prefer the actual paper book, but I don't doubt that may change in the future. That said, please take a look at this article to see what this writer has to say about the downside of e-books. ( How did he know my views?) Please note, that my son took several of his books back to NY that totally disrupted my decorating!

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/06/ebooks-not-there-yet/

4 comments:

  1. I just got a Nook and I am pretty sure I can write "notes in the margin" so guess it depends on the ereader. Still, I suspect it will not be my format of choice for a while. But I am looking forward to trying it out while traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father in law lent me his Kindle for our recent trip to Amsterdam and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to try it out. I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Will it replace my beloved books? No way. But I definitely want to have one of my own the next time I travel. I agree with the writer's points. And I think that there's a place for both e-readers and books - it doesn't have to be either/or.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For those of you who have trouble committing to ereaders, just take it slow and pick up a book inbetween your ereader books.

    Yes, there is a bit of grieving that takes place when you are reading from an ereader and your fingers are itching to turn the paper pages.

    Don't go cold turkey all at once. Take it nice and slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad reads on his ipad and on his kindle. The neat thing he has found is that they can sync to each other. So if he was reading on one, he can easily switch and read on the other - it will ask him if he would like to continue on his previous page number or the number he was on with the kindle. I was surprised that he went to ereaders, he has always enjoyed having the book. He was persuaded by a person he kept running into on his weekly flight, who said doesn't your bag get heavy with your books? They got to talking and this person used to buy and carry them as well. Now since he reads so much, he can go through more without having to lug them around as he travels.

    ReplyDelete