Tuesday, December 6, 2011

iPad connectivity at ALD locations

Recently I have had some hard time figuring out problems with patrons trying to connect to our Hotspot. I thought I did everything right - cleared out cache/history/cookies and enabling the iPad to accept cookies. BUT! I still had a problem. I was able to navigate to any page, but once there I could do nothing on the page itself: I could not use links, I could not even zoom in/out onto the page. I even published this question on the ALD tech liasion page, but I still got the same suggestions about cache and cookies.

And finally today with Jay's help I figured out what I was doing wrong! After doing all the right things I did not restart the iPad proprely! I just turned it off and on instead of holding onto the off button on the top of the device till the screen prompts you to slide the device to "slide to power off".

So for the colleagues who are not very familiar with iPad and who come across a patron who cannot connect to our Hotspot I suggest doing the following:


  1. On the main screen choose icon Settings > Safari (iPad's default browser)> on the right choose and touch Clear History/Clear Cookies/ Clear Cache

  2. On the same screen find the option Accept Cookies, touch it and in the menu that appears touch Always

  3. Restart you iPad by holding onto the off button on the top of the device till the screen prompts you to slide the device to "slide to power off"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for these great step by step instruction. Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katya,
    Thank you for solving this mystery and giving us step by step how to.

    ReplyDelete