Friday, January 20, 2012

E-Reader Notes

My e-reader is Nook Simple Touch. I found it to be easy and pleasant to use. I discovered that in order to operate a Nook the owner has to register it with Barnes & Noble. To register the e-reader, the owner has to establish a Barnes & Noble personal account. The registration process requires access to wireless Internet connection. The easiest place to register a Nook is one of the Barnes & Noble stores. After registering my Nook, I was able to check out ALD e-books. I also wanted to read books in Russian. I used Katya’s article in Tech Talk blog at http://aldnlreadtolead.blogspot.com/2011/06/popular-russian-formats-for-e-books.html  to guide me through the process (thank you, Katya!). I was able to download a book in Russian to my computer and convert the Russian format to e-pub. I could read the book in Calibre, a format converter I used. However, when I transferred the book to my Adobe Digital Editions library, the text consisted of question marks. I went through the procedure several times but could not make Adobe display the Russian text. I decided to connect my Nook to the computer and see if I would get question marks there as well. To my surprise, the Nook displayed the text properly. I realized that Calibre did accomplish the format conversion. Even though Adobe could not display the Russian font, it transferred the format conversion to the Nook.

No comments:

Post a Comment