Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Online Education for Kids

Hi NL Staff! This perhaps a strange topic to be posting for work, but it is a new technological adventure I have embarked on and one that I am extremely excited about!

Some of you may be familiar with all of the educational options out there for students. I only recently became aware of online schooling options for my 13 year old, 8th grade son. What I learned, and what we ended up setting up for him, is that you can create a combination of online and "traditional" (brick and mortar classroom) learning. This was all done for FREE through the school distrcit we live in, they even provide a macbook which they check out to us. So my son takes his "core" classes online and attends his former middle school for two electives and after-school athletics. I cannot say enough about how well this is working out for him and for our family.

What is super exciting to me is the technology piece in this. This is a real world opportunity for my son to continue to develop his skills technologically by using the following on a regular basis:
*Virtual Classes weekely using camera, mike, and/or instant messaging
*Online presentations with peers including presentations and desktop sharing to present
*Updated/latest technology for documents, presentations, etc
*Google docs, calendars, etc between teachers and with students
*Variety of communications tools with teachers and students
*Online textbooks, assignments, quizzes, tests

Additionally, this gives him a great combination of structured and independent learning/working...a great lifeskill for the future. Because parental involvement is such an important piece with this type of learning, I have been able to brush up on my tech skills and learn new things!!

I thought I would pass this information on as you may find more and more online learners in your libraries...the numbers keep growing annually!

No comments:

Post a Comment