Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Love Hate Technology!

When I first got my smart phone in December, I truly had a love hate relationship with it. It was definitely a learning curve going from a regular cell phone to a touch screen phone. I remember feeling so frustrated with it (and with myself) half the time and so awed by all the cool features the other half. Four months later, I can't even imagine life without my smart phone. Recently, I was in a new city, and I used my phone navigation system and another super cool app, Lattitude, to drive around and get to where I needed to be. I also find myself using it more and more to listen to audiobooks.

And best of all, I find that I am now much more capable to help patrons who want to download audiobooks to their smart phone. And, I have a point of reference when people are talking about their smart phones or iphones.

My personal experience with my smart phone helped me to have more empathy as well. I'm reminded of how frustrating technology can be for patrons at the first encounter. But, once mastered, how glorious!!!

4 comments:

  1. Rita,

    As a new smart phone owner, I too, am now amazed how I could ever get along without one, especially with us in OS so mobile all the time and not always at a site computer.

    I find I can respond quickly and efficiently to emails wherever I am at in any point of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way, Rita. My iphone is never far away, and making that purchase this year definitely catapulted me into a more engaged relationship with technology! My attitude, level of confidence and habits are changing for the better. I am as fascinated with the psychology of integrating life and work with technology as I am with the cool technology itself. It's empowering to truly start believing that tech exertise is not just for "other people". The smart phone has helped me to make that leap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Rita,

    I am thinking of doing the same. I almost feel that having just a cell phone these days seems almost archaic. Having said this I am in the process of purchasing a smart phone. Wish me luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Juan, good luck and let me know about your experience with your new phone.

    ReplyDelete