Saturday, April 16, 2011

Shelfari, LibraryThing, Goodreads...Did I miss any?

Well, I have had several encounters with patrons and them asking if we have a way to browse items that they have checked out before. Many of  the questions are related to books that they have read. I shared with them that if they open their accounts online, they can turn on their History and this will keep a record of all items that they have checked out. I do however, mention that their is a limit, so they should go in their History every once in a while and erase information that they don't want to keep, such as DVDs or music CDs. I have also shared with them that they can keep their titles in programs such as Shelfari, LibraryThing or Good reads (not sure if there are others).


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I have looked at Shelfari, but I decided I liked Goodreads better. I think I liked the tagging system better in GR. I find GR so useful that I actually have two accounts! One just for picture books and storytime, and one for all my other reading. I am such a librarian nerd that I have a LibraryThing account as well. In LibraryThing, I keep track of the books we own; in GoodReads, I keep track of the books I've read and want to read. I think they're great tools, and would love to promote them more seamlessly to our patrons!

    ReplyDelete