Friday, April 22, 2011

QR Codes



Hi Folks!! I hate to admit it, but I received an email today about QR Codes...and I had NO IDEA what they even were! I talked it over with some people here and researched a bit online. When Donna came in with her smart phone, we were able to use the app to scan some that we found in a magazine and have learned SO MUCH. But here is the best part: you can generate your own QR codes. I have posted one here with a secret message for you to scan if you are able. I was able to generate this at http://qrcode.kaywa.com/


Oh, and ALSO, I learned how to post images to the blog in the process. :) Lots of new things today...not bad for a FRIDAY!!!

5 comments:

  1. We are wild ones, aren't we Erin! I am thankful, even on a Sunday, that you put this great post front and center for us to try out. And it worked. What do you know!I'm anxious to see about using QR codes with parent literacy messages...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Erin! I googled QR and now I know when and where it came from. So now if patrons mention this abbreviation I am prepared. That's the start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These have been boggling me for weeks now, and was gearing up to make an entry about them when you beat me to it! I sees these everywhere and wonder how effective they are for marketing. What is the app that you need to read them? Will any smartphone work or is it iphone/ android specific?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is interesting! I have seen these more in ads lately and even yesterday in my Bed, Bath and Beyond flier that I got. My daughter also had this on her prom ticket this year. They had tickets that looked like Boarding passes with the kids names and then the QR code that they code scan that would give a secret message. I wonder like Laura said if you have to have a special app or even an iphone or android? Does anyone know if there are any other ways to scan these? If a patron were to bring one to us in the library, how would we direct them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You scan it with your phone camera, but you do have to have a special app to code/decode it.

    ReplyDelete