Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Should I be broadening my search engine horizons?

Oh, Google, how we love thee. When posed with a trivial query, you don't 'bing it' or 'yahoo it' or 'look it up using the inter-web', you 'google it', but is google's dominance justified? Is it really the best way to search for information? Is there a tangible difference between search engines?

I set out to find an answer, and quickly came upon this article from PC World from 2009 (when Microsoft launched Bing, which might be too dated to still be relevant)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/165749/bing_vs_google_vs_yahoo_feature_smackdown.html

The slideshow style article examines a bevy of criteria, from which I have culled the following:

Home Page: Bing is prettier (i.e. flashy), but still navigable. Google is clean and simple. Yahoo is busy, but they are trying for a more integrated 'Internet surfing experience'. Winner according to PC World: Bing. Winner according to Laura: Bing. It's true, I can't resist the pretty, pretty pictures, though I like when Google mixes it up with their logo.

Search Results: Bing groups search results in logical categories and has a left-hand navigation panel to help you focus your results fast. Google simply lists blue links in descending order from most to least relevant. Yahoo... well, they didn't talk about yahoo. Winner according to PC World: Google. Winner according to Laura: Google. Maybe I've just been conditioned to like Google, but I like the no-frills approach and having the most relevant results be the first I see.

Pop Search: When searching for popular musicians etc. Bing allows you to view videos just by hovering over the link, Yahoo also offers prominently placed, and easily accessible videos. Google offers videos, but not as prominently. PCW's winner: Bing. Laura's winner: I really don't know. I guess Yahoo or Bing, and I like the 'hovering' videos of Bing...so... maybe Bing?

Airfare Search: This one is between Bing and Yahoo, as Google offers no such service. Bing offers 'Forecast technology' which charts the ups and downs of airfare in recent months and uses that to predict rates in the near future. Yahoo offers similar technology to compare prices and to adjust your itinerary 'on the fly' for maximum savings. PCW's winner: Bing. Laura's winner: OK, the author does not present a compelling argument for their choice, so I really don't know. Both searches seem similar, this might be personal preference (i.e. bias).

Hotel Search: Basically, same as above. Bing and Yahoo use the same forecast technology for hotels as they do for airfare, but Yahoo seems a little flashier here. Yahoo alerts to 'Getaway Deals' and flags good deals. PCW's Winner: Yahoo. Laura's Winner: Yahoo. Why dissent?

Refining Searches: When using Bing, the search-refining tools are always located on one side of the screen. With google and yahoo the search-refining tools are always at least a click away. PCW's Winner: Bing. Laura's Winner: Bing. Easier=Better.

Video Search: To be honest, all three seem pretty similar. Bing and Google allow you to refine your search based on video length, and all three allow you to choose official vs. unofficial videos. When you hover your mouse over a video link in Bing, it triggers the video to start. That's cool. Yahoo's at a major disadvantage here, because its videos do not always load in the search window, instead it sometimes directs you to the original website. PCW's Winner: Bing. Laura's Winner: Bing. Love the hover.

Shopping Search: Bing and Google highlight 'Reviews', 'Technical Specifications', links to related items, etc. Bing culls reviews from a variety of websites. Yahoo's main attraction is the close up and varied views of products they supply, but reviews and tech specs are a little harder to find. PCW's Winner: Yahoo. Laura's Winner: Bing. Unless I'm purchasing jewelry (happens more than it should), I want reviews, and specifications. Pictures are nice, but give me the nitty gritty!

Local Search: Go green! Go local! Go slow! Once again, Bing and Google are neck-n-neck. Bing offers aggregate reviews and ratings, Google gives you maps. Yahoo was limited. PCWorld: Bing. Laura: Google. I need a map, and chances are I've heard about the restaurant from a source I trust more than a search engine. In theory, I like Bing's approach, but it hasn't ever worked for me in practise.

Health Search: Bing links you to respected sources like Mayo Clinic, and the aforementioned search-refining tools help you refine the search. Google's health search functions much like its regular search, with the most relevant links leading the results. Google's big thrust with Google Health is to provide a place for people to store medical record, find doctors, and connect with online health services. Yahoo really shines in this category. It brings up a lot of information, about symptoms, treatments, etc., but it also provides videos!
PCW: Yahoo. Laura: Google. I like the Google Health angle of providing information, but also connecting you with your records and health professionals.

Maps Search: All three look very similar to me! Yahoo might have old information. Bing and Google have cool satellite views, and easy controls within the window. PCWorld: Google. Laura: Google. Google is king of maps, forever and for always.

In Summary (i.e. Laura's opinion): If you've made it this far with me, then here is my opinion: Google remains the standard barer for information searches and maps. Bing is good for shopping, for media, and for travel. Yahoo is the awkward cousin at the wedding, that no one really cares if they show up, but is there anyway.

Caveat: Maybe it goes without saying, but come tomorrow (or a week ago) this information might be invalid. I had trouble finding any sort of comparison of the three search engines that wasn't a few years old, as it seems no one really cares after the initial launch of Bing. Also, my personal preference for Google (email, docs, reader, everything!) may bias me against its competitors.

2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    This was a pretty extensive and highly interesting comparative report on the popular search engines and I liked how you showed examples for popular things like airfare, hotels etc. and how they hold up with each of these search engines. Nicely done!

    Your post motivated me to explore the demographics of the users who use Google, Bing, Yahoo and when I did a Google Search :-), I came up with a variety of interesting info which all of you will find interesting and amusing too when you check it out. Now, I want to find some peer-reviewed journal articles that may have been written up about the users for these three search engines

    I think it goes without saying that younger users are the ones using Google mostly and perhaps some old loyalists still use Yahoo as they like the categories that pop up and so on.....Padma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this very interesting so I tried several different seaches using Google, Bing, and Yahoo. I mainly use Google to search but I found Bing will be useful also.

    ReplyDelete