Monday, November 14, 2011

One Take on Core Digital Skills

You guys know I spend a lot of my time thinking about the core early literacy skills that children need to have in place in order to become successful readers. I have some fun conversations with my husband about core digital skills as well! Bill teaches at the University of Denver in the Digital Media Studies department. DMS has just joined with the Art department to offer a new degree called Emergent Digital Practices.
“It’s about big ideas and hands-on practice,” says Trace Reddell, director of digital media studies. “Think of a program that builds on the energy and inspiration of recent TEDxDU events. People are beginning to realize that we don’t just need new technology to solve our problems. We need creative, knowledgeable and engaged problem solvers.”
Students will start with foundational courses that explore the "digital environment." These courses cover the skills the DMS faculty have determined to be essential to working with digital tools...a basic digital literacy. The skill areas are:
  • critical thinking & analysis
  • coding (programming)
  • working with digital images (creating, understanding, & manipulating 2D images)
  • working with time-based media (creating, understanding, & manipulating sound and video)
  • understanding digital platforms (understanding hardware, software, networks, electronic systems, and interfaces)
I keep bugging Bill to tell me this list again and again, so I am hoping now that I've written it out it will all finally stick! I'm sure there are other core digital skill lists out there, but I love how on this list critical thinking is placed as a "tech skill." As for me, I don't know ANY programming! I know I could use more time working with sound and video, though making the Milkshake Video for Staff Day was a fun start. Which of these categories sounds most interesting to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment