Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Quick and Easy Website to Find Books for Specific Reading Levels

My grandson's second grade teacher recommended Lexile.com to find books for him to read at his grade level. It's very easy to use. At Lexile.com select a grade level and choose their overall comfort with the material at that grade level. If the patron knows their lexile number it can be entered instead of grade level. Select the area of interest and it generates a list of books that fall within that grade level. It has a link to WorldCat and our library to see if ALD has the book. After the list of books are generated, under Search Options the search can be adjusted to a different age range, lexile range or interest category. You can also search for Spanish books.

After looking into this site I found that lexile is a measure for reading levels, similar to accelerated reading levels. Many schools are now using this as their reading measure. It will be a quick and useful way for me to find books when a parent or student asks for books at a particular grade level. I can't wait to use it when asked "What would be a good book for my third grader to read?"

2 comments:

  1. I love this website! I found out about this for my son at his school last year. He had to read a book within his specific lexile range and take a reading counts test on it. This website was so helpful to me at checking if books we found at the library were within his lexile and also what the interest level was as well. I love how it connects to the library website as well! It was also helpful to me with some patrons that I helped at one of our Neighborhood Libraries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kathy for sharing this good information!

    ReplyDelete