Friday, November 18, 2011

Targeted technology

So often I learn about some "cool" new technology tool that I could use but, upon reflection, realize that it would not help me do my job any better (think "Angry Birds" or a twitter account that has few followers). So I was very excited when our tech liaison, Melissa, helped me narrow down some target areas and I was able to set up a couple of tools that were immediately useful. First, I set up a pinterest account to collect literacy activity ideas. I already found one there that I shared at a storytime practicum. Being able to scan through photos of literacy ideas will be a lot faster than trying to remember where I might have filed that great suggestion from last year. Next, I set up some RSS feeds from early literacy and library organizations. I considered using a third party reader like Google Reader for this, but decided that having the information come directly into my Outlook mailbox would make it easier/more likely that I will check in. So far, this has been a good call.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, Betsy. I think this is the hardest part of the technology revolution for me. Sometimes I get paralyzed by all the options or dip my toes into so many that I don't create useful new tools for myself. Thanks for sharing how you made technology work for you.

    ReplyDelete