Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My November...Well, December...Challenge

All right! Donna issued a challenge for us to tackle a tech topic that would present a real personal learning curve, and I spent most of the month trying to come up with a good idea. I wanted something that really would make me work, and would also really be relevant to my job. It wasn't till I was having lunch with friends from outside the library world last week and asking them what their tech challenges were that my friend Tim asked me, "Well, do you know how to create an ePub document?"

Um, no!

It turns out that creating an ePub document isn't a coding process, but instead a markup process. It's more like getting content ready for a website than writing a computer program. So that was something good to learn, right there. I know a little--just a little--HTML from working on my personal websites and blogs, so I'm going to see if I know enough to give it a try. It may turn out that I don't know enough to finish!

My thought is to take some of the literacy content I've been writing for our monthly storytime handouts for parents and see if I can turn them into a very, very short ePub "book." I'm only just getting started with reading background material and choosing a tutorial, and will let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    We're hoping for an update on your challenge! I read Jamie Larue's column in your hub yesterday and he talked about librarians helping people self-publish in creative ways. I'm thinking thatt helping them know how to create epub documents might be one of those ways.
    You can read his thoughts here on his blog. The article I'm referring to is dated 12/29/11. http://laruesviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete